My niece, Lexi, is the official Very That model. She embodies the best of us, my mom, my sisters, me.... She brings so much light and love to my life, and capturing these fotos is extra sweet.
Like so many of my friends and favorite people, stationery and school supplies are my JAM. As a kid, the best part of going back to school was looking forward to getting all new supplies! Binders and notebooks and pencils, OH MY GAH ...
We were raised on a strict budget most times, but my Mami, being the angel that she is, always let me slip in something fun. I clearly remember a pack of teeny tiny pencils in 2nd grade, completely a novelty product, but they made my teeny tiny heart sing. And then, of course, there was Lisa Frank.
Lisa. Frank. LISA FRANK. L I S A F R A N K. OMG.
Even thinking about it now gives me excited chills up and down.
She was the queen of all things stationery, but where she really grasped my heart was with her stickers. Sheets and sheets of them all at my disposal.
In working on my own cositas and brand visioning, I knew that it was inevitable to create my own stickers and stationery. I've been releasing a new design every couple weeks for the last two years or so, and my collection has grown so fast! Here are some of my latest batches. I've made some out of vinyl, with the help of StickerApp.com. These are perfect for your laptop, journal, car, really anything. They're made of really high quality vinyl and will outlast weather and washes.
Like any 80's baby, I rode the first wave of the planner craze. From the binder ones you'd buy refills for (I never bought the refills, btw, I just found an excuse to get a new one every single year.), to the tiny ones for your purse- I was in all the way.
I remember when I got my first Palm Pilot phone, my planner was used way less and I relied on technology way more. I missed writing things down, I missed the doodles along the border and the physical reminder of years past.
It seems like the planner craze is back (much like the 90s in general!), and I couldn't be happier. I use mine religiously, especially for work. Managing an online store, vending, meetings, and regular social stuff has finally gotten fun again. I created planner stickers because I couldn't find anything I really related to in the online planner store world.
So far, I have released around 7 designs that were made especially for planner sized boxes. These have received great response so far, and I'm so excited to release the secret gems I've been working on!
I imagine the 8 year old Cristina would be really excited to know that her future self is out here creating STICKERS!! A dream come truly, really!
One of the best things my parents have ever shared with me is their love of music. Living in the house I grew up in, I constantly run into things left behind by my family. Most recently it was my Dad's old cassette tapes with SO many gems. Los Bukis and Juan Gabriel and Ramon Ayala.
In thinking about February and upcoming shows and themes for the month, I of course thing of Valentine's Day. The majority of my life I was a single girl for this holiday, and although this year I'm blissfully in love, I totally understand how heartache songs are just as magical as love songs!
I've created this sticker sheet for Las Solteras y Las Enamoradas. I feel you!!!
You can find this sticker sheet on my Etsy by clicking H E R E! I've created a special coupon code for you: TuSoloTu15 for 15% off your total purchase. Coupon is good through February, so get your shop on for you, your boo, and your comadres.
Thank you to my Mami and Dad for inspiring this with all the beloved canciones de mi juventud.
So recently a friend interviewed me for a local magazine(!), she sent me these really amazing questions. The kind that had me shut off my music/background noise (typically a YouTube video) to really be able to think. I sent them off to her, grammar errors and all, and moved on.
She wrote me back and asked if I wrote. & that if I didn't, I should start.
The truth is words are my first love. I wanted to be a journalist. I remember admitting this to my Tia Chaparra, the teacher/traveler/forever soltera... She replied that I should be a Nurse instead because there's always job security for Nurses. Que triste.
I was in Journalism in High School and LOVED IT. So much so that I dedicated the most time to our newspaper. Over the years I have written lots, secret blogs hidden in the abyss of the internet, journals and little notes everywhere, and even here. It's not something I nurture as much as I should, thought. That's clear.
So, Chrissy, if you ever read this... Thank you, mujer. I intend to write more and more and more this year. I plan to share my experiences as a full time artist/vendor, what it's like living on the beautiful South Side of San Antonio, the ups and down of this chubby chingona paving her way. Y con eso, here are Five Things 2017 (thus far):
1. The UPS delivery guy came and delivered something on Friday. He's been here lots of times, but this was his first in a while. He asked where the "killer dog" was. With a crazy lump in my throat, I told him Yoshi passed away. Apologies and condolences later, I laughed and thanked him. Yoshi was the neighborhood grump, barking at and threatening anyone that came too close. It was a cute reminder of my guy. I miss him so much.
2. My workspace is clean! Well, mostly. We planned on having my best friend's baby shower here and that threw me into crazy high gear. Solita, pero con animo, I cleaned my entire workspace. The floor is completely visible, ya'll. Now, there is a crazy shelf with stuff nearly spilling out, but that's why there are curtains! Rain changed our plans, and the shower was held elsewhere, but I'm happy that my little studio got the love she deserves. (mom voice: "haber cuanto dura...")
3. Drink more water, mija. I'm trying my hardest to get at least 8 cups in a day and drink way less soda. I've been doing really good! I've had my days where all I crave is a big glass of coke, TBH, but mostly I'm happy with my ice water.
4. I'M GOING TO MEXICO CITY, YA'LL! I did this crazy thing-- I saw that Southwest Airlines was having a crazy sale, so I check out flights to Mexico City during my birthday weekend. The deal was insane and too good to pass up. So in the middle of a late night work session, I booked a flight not knowing who could come with me, where I'd stay, etc. A few days later I booked an apartment through AirBnb. I'm so excited. I'm going to see Frida Kahlo's house. Ay!!!!!
5. Stickers y planners y mas. I've had so much fun working on planner and journal stickers! The stationary aisle has been my favorite since I was old enough to know what it was. It's a dream to be able to create my own and share the with the world <3.